Online gambling is now becoming popular especially to those who do not have access to brick and mortar casinos or gambling house. With just an internet connection, one can already play their favorite games online using their desktop computer, laptop, and even mobile devices. However, gambling online can be against the law in a certain state or country. Below is the legality of online gambling.
Antigua and Barbuda
The twin island and one of the finest tourist destinations in the tropical Caribbean Antigua and Barbuda has its regulatory scheme for companies that offer remote gambling services. They have two different betting licenses including:
1. Interactive gaming intended for online casino gambling
2. Interactive wagering intended for sports betting
Antigua and Barbuda gaming regulation include:
1. Strict licensing requirement – this regulation requires all licensed operators to must meet a number of requirements. Before they are given the license, they are also subject to a thorough due diligence review.
2. Player Account Regulations – this regulation requires operators to have their players fully register and verify identities before allowing them to participate in wagering. The name, date of birth and place of residence of the players must also be verified first before they are allowed to play but must remain confidential.
3. Age Limitations – this regulation restricts operators to cater players who are under the age of 18. Players of this age should not be allowed to participate in the game as players or as contestants.
4. Responsible Gaming – this is to require operators to display a warning of addiction possibilities of gambling on their websites. In addition, under this rule, operators are also required to provide information to assist compulsive gamblers as well as to exclude players from their website’s access upon request of the player.
5. Anti-fraud and Money Laundering Regulations – this regulation will make sure that honest play is practiced as well as it make sure that the operator’s account wagering systems will not be an instrument of the players to do money laundering.
Australia – In Australia, it is illegal to provide interactive gambling services to customers who are in Australia physically. However, it is legal for Australian residents to play poker or casino games online. In addition, sports betting online are also legal in Australia casinos. In fact, there are various licensed sports book operating in Australia including Centrebet, Sportingbet and Betfair.
France – In France, internet gambling are now regulated and taxed since the passing of new laws in March 5, 2009 making France as the newest country to legalized online gambling. However, despite of legalizing online gambling, betting exchanges will remain illegal under the new law.
Germany – All forms of online gambling and betting were banned in Germany since January 1, 2008 except for wagering on horseracing. However, the Schleswig-Holstein state in Germany was able to make its own gambling bill that legalized gambling online. Starting 2012, online gambling operators can already apply for an online gambling license in this German state.
India – Under the Bombay Wager Act, gambling including online gambling is strictly prohibited in India state of Maharashtra.
Israel – In Israel, land based gambling as well as playing games of chances is strictly prohibited under the Israeli Penal Law 5737-1977. However, this gambling exempts the Israel Lottery and the Israeli Commission for Sports Gambling. Later in December 2005, online gambling operations including online backgammon were ordered to stop operations by the Attorney General. Other than that, credit card companies were also ordered to stop doing business with online gambling websites. However, later in May 2007, online backgammon website Play65 has been excluded from the rule.
Russia – The Russian legislation prohibits online gambling in December 2006.
United States – In the United States of America, each state has its own anti-gambling laws.